Avoid costly IT mistakes
Posted by Leeben Amirthavasagam
Imagine a user creates a service request to clean up a test machine in his department. The user inadvertantly enters the wrong machine name instead of the one that needs a clean up while filling the web form. It can be disastrous if the IT technician performs the clean up before validating this service request. The results are unimaginable if the machine is used by a different department or an important application server.
Does that sound familiar to you? If yes, we recommend that you assign a person or an "Editor" using ServiceDesk Plus to validate similar requests and avoid making some costly mistakes.
The editor (usually the user's manager) cross checks the service request created by the users in his or her department. When the editor finds an error or needs more information related to the service request, he or she edits it for precision and better clarity.
The editor can be added to your service request templates as shown below:
Admin -> Service Catalog -> Choose a template -> Drag and drop the editor field into the template from the left pane.
The editor is notified about the service request in his self service portal (My Requests Summary section) as shown below:
Similarly, the IT technicians and the user who created the service request are also notified.
- Encourage your department managers to review the service requests created by their department. A few service requests that might need a double-check are as listed below:
- Access to the database
- Requirement of a specific software product
- Admin privilege to the active directory
- Add the editor field i?n critical service request templates and make it a mandatory field
- Editing a service request is a one time privilege for the editor.
- The service request is created with "On Hold" status and waits for the update from the editor. Once updated, the service request moves to "Open" status and comes under the technicians' scope.
- Validate your service requests to avoid simple mistakes to costly blunders
- Provide valid information to save your IT technicians' time and ensure exactness for them